Thursday, November 21, 2013

Rehash: Review of Memoirs of a Geisha

I have NEVER in my LIFE typed SO MUCH in SO LITTLE TIME.
So I loved the movie Memoirs of a Geisha. I still do, despite the research that ruined it all. I had to watch the movie until I memorized entire scenes so I could fully understand why it was so inaccurate. The film took place around WWII (the bombing of Hiroshima occurred toward the middle). It was about a poor farmer's daughter who gets sold to a geisha house and ends up becoming one of the most renowned geisha of her time. The amount of research that went into that thing was insane. On the upside, I did learn more about the true culture of geisha in the forties. Much of it could be interpreted as merely fantasy; this is call Orientalism, which is creating a fantasy/illusion about other cultures, particularly those of the Eastern persuasion. Also, I analyzed the characters, particularly Sayuri, the protagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment