Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Interviewing my Grandfather

On Thanksgiving, I interviewed my grandfather, James Johnson, about some of the new inventions that came about when he was young. Specifically, when he first heard about a TV. It's fun listening to grandparents tell stories about when they were young, especially when it concerns something I grew up with. Here's a part of the interview:

ME: Where were you when you first heard of a TV?

GF: It was during the War II. I was a military police officer, and I was in Russia on assignment. I was there around 3 years. We were on our way back to the US. There were replacements coming in for us, and they told us about all the changes in technology in the US that had happened while we were gone. 

ME: What kinds of things were you told about?

GF: Washing machines, dryers, coffee machines, and the drink machines. You know, the ones where you put the coin in?

ME: (laughing) Yes, I know.

GF: All right. Anyway, one of the men was telling me about this new little box. It was similar to a radio--you plug it in and all that--but it had a glass front and you could see things that were going on in other parts of the world.

ME: Did you believe him at first?

GF: No. (laughs) I didn’t believe the guy at first. Thought he was kinda woozy. Like his elevator hadn't gone all the way up to the top. But he was telling me to go to a furniture store as soon as I got back. He said they'd have these radio-looking things, except their fronts were glass. I asked him, "Where do you put the film?" and he answered, "Nope, it’s live. Don't need a tape or film. You can see things in Europe and other parts of America." Like I said, I thought he was crazy at first, but I found out he was serious when I got home. (laughs)

No comments:

Post a Comment