Sunday, April 21, 2013

Entry #5 - The Letters

One of our choices was to create a persona and write a couple of letters from their POV. I decided to use my handy-dandy quill pen to write these. I created two personas: a father and a son during the Civil War. I wrote the boy's letter with my left hand to make it look...well, more like a little kid wrote it (I'm right-handed, by the way). I hope you can read it O.o
I made the paper look old by soaking it in tea and baking it in the oven for about 5 minutes. Then I took a lighter and burned the edges in the second letter.
I did some research for the second letter. Robert E. Lee didn't surrender until May of 1865, but Sherman (the guy mentioned in the letter) really did have the Confederate army surrounded at that time.

............................................................................................................................


Dear Papa,
Hello this is you son Jacob and i miss you very much. Mam said I can write leters becouse i am five now She is so pretty and Rosie misses you too. Rosie said her first word it was papa and Mam cryed. We love ad miss you.
Your son jacob
i love you :)


Dearest Jacob,
I cannot begin to say how much I miss all of you. The war may have separated us but I promise I will be back to see you very, very soon.
We have just reached the Atlantic Ocean in Georgia. Our general, William Tecumseh Sherman, is sure that we have the Confederate army surrounded and that they will be surrendering soon. Then I will come back to you and your mama and little Rosie. Tell Mam I love her and take care of her.
I love you all,
Your Father,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment