Sunday, April 21, 2013

Entry #4 - How to Make a Quill Pen


The pen will be more resilient if it is treated first, but it's not completely necessary. To treat, put sand in water overnight. The next day, put it in a can and bury the shaft of the feather in it. Put in the oven at about 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. When time is up, take the feather out. Leave the feather in the sand until it cools. This method makes it tougher, more flexible, and less brittle. I had to get some sand from Hobby Lobby since I'm in an apartment.

This is the actual process: 

1. Find a feather. You can get one at any craft store or just from outside. Just make sure you wash it off beforehand if that's the case.

2. Cut the feather at around 45 degrees, then make another one opposite to that one at 5 degrees. There'll be two "horns" at the end of the pen.

3. Bend the horns together. This should make it crack and a slit at the center.

4. Shave off the horns so there will be one prominent tip.

And there you have it!

Mine ended up a little rough, since I've never done this before, but it still writes all right...I guess >.>

The lighting is really bright, but you can see the sharper tip that the little ink blob is supposed to attach to.
Test running :)

Writing with a quill pen isn't too much different from today's pens, except you had to dip it in the ink vial. I honestly thought making a quill pen just consisted of plucking a bird's feather off, washing it, and then shaving down the tip. I didn't know about the whole treatment deal until I actually looked it up. And it was hard! I had to do a few of them since I managed to ruin a few, but it was definitely a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment